Orzo is like a cross between rice and pasta, tiny little pieces of pasta that absorb lots of flavours, making it perfect for baking into a dish.
This dish feels incredibly naughty, because it is so full of flavour and the mozarella, well that’s just the best addition to any meal ever in my eyes!
This meal is ready in 30 minutes, with only ten minutes prep, and the oven does most of the work, making it perfect for an evening meal when you are busy.Print
Deliciously juicy and cheesy pasta dish
150g orzo pasta
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 roasted red peppers from a jar, roughly chopped (drain the oil off)
handful of olives, roughly chopped
big pinch of chilli flakes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic (or add 1 crushed garlic clove to a can of chopped tomatoes)
125g ball mozarella
- Heat the oven to 200c/180c fan/gas 6
- Tip the orzo into a medium casserole dish
- Stir in the oil, red peppers, olives, chilli flakes and oregano
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes, then refill the can half way with water and add that too.
- Mix everything well, season, cover and bake for 20 minutes until the pasta is almost cooked.
- Take it out of the oven and stir.
- Remove the lid/foil cover and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes
- Heat the grill to high. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and tear up the mozarella and add to the top of the dish. Grill until it is melted and bubbling.
- Serve with salad on the side, if you like.
To give this dish a protein kick you could also add some diced, browned chicken breast, some cooked ham, or some chopped bacon medallions. Just make sure you add the calories.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Calories: 392