Another family favourite that doesn’t have to blow your calorie budget. This recipe serves 4 people, very generously, so you might find that you actually have some left over for another day. This freezes well in an airtight container, so it’s great for an emergency meal when you are short on time.
Not everyone in my family likes spicy food, so I cook it all without the spices, then portion up the non-spicy version, before adding the spice for those who do.Print
Spicy family favourite
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 pepper, chopped
500g lean beef mince
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Quarter of a tube of tomato puree
Half a tin of kidney beans or other beans of your choosing (drained)
Dried cumin seeds
Sprinkle of chilli powder or chilli flakes
200g basmati rice
- 1 medium onion diced and fried in 10 sprays of one calorie oil until softened
- Add 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely and sliced pepper.
- Add 500g lean steak mince and brown it.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry them gently for a minute to release the flavour
- Add one tin of chopped tomatoes, quarter of a tube of tomato purée, teaspoon of dried basil, teaspoon of dried oregano and the beans.
- Next add a good sprinkle of chilli powder or chilli flakes. Stir then bring to a simmer, then just leave to bubble gently whilst the rice is cooking.
- Serve with 50g basmati rice per person, cooked to package instructions.
Vegetarians can use quorn mince instead of beef mince -353 calories per portion
Swapping beef mince for turkey mince – 403 calories per portion
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Calories: 423