This recipe makes a great family dinner, and could be easily multiplied up for when you may have more guests. Chicken, cream and garlic, what’s not to like about it?! There’s a real depth of flavour to the sauce too with mustard, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and chive really packing a flavour punch.
Thanks again to our super chef Dianne for this recipe.Print
Delicious family meal
400g chicken breast or thigh meat (skin and visible fat removed), thinly sliced.
Salt and pepper
Low calorie cooking spray
1 tsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (can use a gluten free alternative)
400ml meat stock (1 beef stock cube dissolved in 400ml boiling water and mixed with a chicken stock pot)
1 onion, thinly sliced
250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
175g low-fat cream cheese
Fresh chives, chopped
Sweet smoked paprika
- Season the chicken with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then set aside.
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place on a medium heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and quickly seal on all sides, then remove the meat from the pan, and set aside.
- Return the pan to the medium heat. Add the vinegar to the Worcestershire sauce and deglaze the pan with the mixture, scraping and stirring the browned bits from the pan – use some of the stock if you need to.
- When most of the liquid has evaporated spray the pan with some low calorie cooking spray. Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until they start to brown, then add the Dijon mustard and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock to the pan and simmer until the liquid has halved.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream cheese, making sure there are no lumps of cheese remaining.
- Return the chicken to the pan, stir well and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked. If the sauce looks a little thick you can add some more water until it reaches the consistency you prefer.
- Sprinkle with the chopped chives and paprika (optional) and serve.
This can be gluten free (use a gluten free stock cube and change Worcestershire sauce)
This can be batch cooked and frozen
Serve with rice or potatoes or/and vegetable but make sure you add your calories
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Calories: 260