These stuffed peppers are packed with protein and bursting with flavour. They are really versatile and could act as a starter for a lovely meal with friends, or make a great lunch or dinner with the family.
At only 373 calories a portion they are super efficient in calories too, meaning you can hit your weight loss goals whilst still eating food that tastes amazing!Print
Versatile veggie recipe
50g/1¾oz wholegrain long-grain rice
1 red and 1 yellow pepper
low-calorie cooking spray
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 courgette, diced
75g/2½oz cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
20g/¾oz toasted flaked almonds
½ orange, zest only, finely grated
3 heaped tbsp roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (or coriander)
100g/3½oz mild goats’ cheese, rind removed and cheese cut into chunks (or feta will also do)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Cook the rice in a pan of boiling water for 25 minutes, or until just tender, then drain.
- Meanwhile, cut the peppers in half from top to bottom and discard the seeds. Place, open-side up, on a baking tray (cut a sliver from the base if necessary to help them sit flat). Bake for 15 minutes.
- Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and cook the onion and courgette over a medium heat, stirring regularly, for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Tip into a large heatproof bowl and stir in the almonds and orange zest.
- Add the rice and parsley and season with a little salt and lots of pepper. Mix together.
- Fill the peppers with the rice mixture. Dot with the cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until the peppers are softened and the filling is piping hot.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Calories: 373