Winter is on its way, and it’s time to swap our delicious salads for warming soups, to keep you going until the end of the working day. This minestrone is packed with vitamins and minerals from the variety of vegetables and pearl barley used. It uses seasonal vegetables too, to make it feel like a real treat on a cold wintry day.
Pearl barley also has a good amount of protein too, which makes it a great addition to any veg-based dish, where you might be low on protein normally. Using the soffrito mix (a prepped mix of carrot, onion and celery) takes the hassle out of the prep, so that you can just get everything in the pan and let it simmer away while you get on with something else.
This would be great to batch cook then freeze in smaller portions for quick and easy working lunches.Print
Delicious warming winter dish
1 tbsp olive oil
500g pack frozen/fresh Soffritto Mix
50g pearl barley
1.2 litres hot vegetable stock
2 vine tomatoes, peeled, chopped
75g cavolo nero kale, stems removed, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the soffritto and fry for 5 minutes until defrosted and softened slightly.
- Rinse the pearl barley in a sieve under cold running water and add to the pan.
- Pour in the hot stock, cover with a lid, bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the pearl barley is tender.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan with the cavolo nero.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the cavolo nero is tender.
- Check the seasoning, then divide among 4 bowls and serve.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Calories: 164