Impress your family and friends with this super tasty but super quick traditional pasta dish. This only takes 15 minutes from start to finish, and will absolutely be a winner. With traditional Italian flavours of tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, olives and capers, then the piece de resistance anchovy fillets, it packs a real flavour punch.
Anchovies are an oily fish and therefore are full of good fats that help lower cholesterol, protect your heart and brain. They have a really strong flavour hence why only a few are needed to really pack a punch in the flavour department. You could also mix it up by also adding some king prawns or diced chicken, in addition to the anchovies, to add a bit of variety to your menu.Print
Traditional Italian favourite packed full of flavour
120g dried Spaghetti
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra to serve
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 Anchovy Fillets in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Tomato Purée
400g can chopped tomatoes
10 Pitted Kalamata Olives, torn in half
Handful fresh Basil, plus extra leaves to serve
2 tsp Capers, drained
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a wide pan, gently heat the olive oil, garlic and anchovies. Sizzle gently for 2 minutes, encouraging the anchovies to melt into the oil with a few stirs.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 1 minute until it turns a burnished, golden red.
- Add the tomatoes and olives, partially cover, and turn up the heat.
- Bubble hard for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened and is rich and tasty.
- When ready, drain the pasta, reserving a cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce with 2 tbsp reserved water and mix well.
- Season, then toss a handful of the basil into the pan. Divide between plates then finish with the capers, extra basil and a drizzle of oil.
For a slight kick, add a pinch of Hot Chilli Flakes to the pan as you soften the garlic and anchovies.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Calories: 416