Meatloaf is traditionally eaten in the US, with potatoes and vegetables, but Dianne has created this lower calorie version with turkey mince, and served it with a crisp salad, and a few skin on sweet potato fries.
It is packed full of flavour, and has a little kick to it, due to some the fragrant spices of nutmeg and mustard. You can choose to up the heat intensity by adding in hot sauce, to really give it some kick.
Meatloaf will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and can also be frozen, so if you have leftovers, they can be saved for another day.Print
Lower calorie twist on an American staple
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
2 onions, chopped
200g mushrooms finely chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
150g breadcrumbs (I used warburtons wholemeal and blitzed them in my food processor)
chicken stock cube dissolved in 200 ml of water
3 tablespoons of Parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of hot sauce (tone down or leave out if you don’t like it too hot)
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
660g lean minced turkey (less than 5% fat)
1 large egg, beaten
Low calorie cooking spray
120ml tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C or gas mark 4.
- Melt butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add onion, mushrooms and garlic to the pan and cook for around 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine mushroom mixture, breadcrumbs, stock, parsley, soy sauce, worcester sauce, pepper, turkey mince and egg in a large bowl. Stir well to combine evenly.
- Press into a greased or lined loaf tin (approx 9″ x 5″ rectangle).
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg in a small bowl, stir thoroughly. Spread the ketchup mix evenly over the top of meatloaf.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until middle registers 160 on a cooking thermometer.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Dianne served this with side salad and sweet potato fries (skins on and using low cal cooking spray) These are additional calories.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Calories: 322