This simple summer recipe makes a perfect low calorie lunch, or could be served along side some grilled meat, fish or poultry for a delicious evening meal.
I love mushrooms and pesto, and this recipe is just the perfect combination. Whilst it might seem a bit extravagant making your own pesto, you will save on calories, as there is less oil in this one, than shop bought pesto – alternatively, just use less of the shop bought stuff, to make up for it.Print
Delicious and low calorie summer meal or accompaniment
4 large field or Portobello mushrooms, wiped clean
1 large courgette, sliced diagonally
low-cal oil spray
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp dried oregano
400g can of butterbeans, drained
100g spinach, washed
50g fresh basil, leaves only
30g Parmesan cheese or vegetarian alternative, grated
25g pine nuts
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- To make the pesto, put all the ingredients in a small food processor and season with salt and pepper. Blitz to make a coarse paste, stopping to push down the ingredients in the bowl and adding a little water if necessary.
- Place the mushrooms in a roasting tin, undersides facing up. Spread a tablespoon of pesto over each mushroom and top with some breadcrumbs. Add the courgette slices in between the mushrooms and spray them with oil. Put the tin in the oven and roast the mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- Mix the tomato purée and oregano with 100ml of water in a bowl and stir in the butter beans. Take the tin out of the oven and add the butter bean mixture, taking care that the liquid doesn’t go over the mushrooms – it’s fine for it to cover the courgettes. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the oven. Arrange the spinach over 4 plates and top with the stuffed mushrooms, courgettes and butter beans.
- Calories: 209