This is such a luxurious dish – the creme fraiche makes it feel so rich, creamy and decadent, and a real treat! But at 400 calories a portion it will fit into many people’s calorie allowances. We naturally write off any recipe containing cream when we are looking to lose weight, but this recipe makes it fit for anyone. You can even swap out the reduced fat creme fraiche for 0%fat creme fraiche, if you can find it at the supermarket and save over another 100 calories per serving! Winner!!
My family love this meal, and it always goes down a storm. This recipe serves it with pasta, but it can be served with rice or baked potatoes, whichever you prefer. I hope you all love it as much as I do.Print
Beautifully, creamy beef stroganoff – A touch of luxury on a calorie budget!
260g dried tagliatelle (or pasta of your choice)
450g diced lean beef steak
Good handful of mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 red pepper deseeded and diced
1 onion, peeled and diced
300ml reduced fat creme fraiche (or 0%fat creme fraiche if you can get it)
1/2 pint of beef stock
Black pepper to season
- Add pasta to a pan of boiling water and cook according to packet instructions. Once ready, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is boiling, spray a frying pan with spray oil, and heat on a medium heat
- Add onions and peppers and soften gently, until the onions become translucent
- Once the onions and peppers are softened add the chopped garlic cloves and soften these also
- Add the paprika to the pan and coat all the vegetables in the spice
- Add your diced steak and seal each side of the meat, coating it also in the paprika
- Add your mushrooms
- Once the beef is sealed, add the stock and bring to a simmer, keep stirring and reducing the stock down.
- Once the stock has reduced to about half its original amount, reduce the heat to low, and add the reduced fat/0% fat creme fraiche and stir continuously, mixing it well into the stock.
- Add a small handful of fresh parsley and thyme leaves, roughly chopped together and stir through the sauce.
- Add the drained pasta to the pan and coat with the sauce
- Season with black pepper to taste and serve! Delicious!!
Using 0%fat creme fraiche instead of reduced fat creme fraiche saves just over 100 calories per serving – bringing it in at 298 calories per serving
If you bring your creme fraiche out of the fridge prior to cooking, and slowly bring it up to room temperature, it won’t split when you add it to your pan.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Calories: 400