Have a cheat day, without it even being a cheat day with this delicious treat of Chicken Schnitzel or Chicken Parmagian as it’s sometimes known! Delicious tender chicken, crumbed and fried and served with crunchy creamy coleslaw. At 430 calories, this will tempt your tastebuds without breaking the calorie budget!! It’s also a bit of messy fun to have with the family, for those days when we might have a bit more time on our hands. If you have the calories, serve with corn on the cob or a crunchy salad.Print
Cheat day Chicken Schnitzel
For the schnitzel
4 small chicken breasts
3 tbsp grated parmesan
1 large egg, beaten
75g dried breadcrumbs
75ml vegetable oil
For the coleslaw
300g white cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
6 spring onions, sliced diagonally
1 red-skinned apple, grated
150g pot natural yogurt
juice ½ lemon
2 tsp English mustard
- For the coleslaw, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Season a little and set aside.
- Place a layer of cling film on your work surface and pop the chicken fillets on top. Cover with another piece of cling film and, using a rolling pin, bash the chicken until it is 2-3mm thick.
- Put the flour on a plate and season, then put the egg on another plate. Dip the chicken in the flour to coat, then into the egg.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow bowl, then toss the chicken in the mixture to completely coat in the crumbs. Put the chicken on a plate and chill in the fridge until ready to eat if you’re not cooking them straight away.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a fairly high heat and cook the chicken schnitzels two at a time. Sizzle them for 2-3 mins each side until completely golden, then lift out onto kitchen paper to drain. You can keep them warm in a low oven while you cook the rest. Serve with the coleslaw.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Calories: 430