Delicious quick and easy vegetarian, low calorie curry dish
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 inch of fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons of madras curry powder (or any hot curry powder will do)
1 dessertspoon of coconut oil (or use sunflower oil)
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 large can of chickpeas in water, drained
Salt to taste
Fresh chillies (optional)
Fresh coriander or dried coriander leaf to taste
- Fry the coconut oil, ginger and garlic gently until the onions are soft and the flavours infused.
- Add the onion and chopped celery and fry for around 3 minutes, taking care not to burn, then add the curry powder and continue for another two minutes until you can smell all the flavours and the onion mix is coated.
- Add the sweet potato and continue to fry. If the mixture feels too dry you can add a little more oil, or use fry light to coat the sweet potato.
- When the potato has absorbed the flavours add the chickpeas and continue to fry for another minute or so.
- Add chopped chillies if you are using them and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stir and add coriander leaf. If you are using fresh coriander, save this until near the end of the cooking period.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes give with a fork. Take care as you don’t want the potatoes too hard or mushy.
- Serve on its own with fresh coriander (optional).
This recipe makes four generous portions on its own without rice, and can be frozen or stored in the fridge for three days.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Calories: 230