This delicious hearty vegan stew, packed with protein and fibre, is so tasty, and will definitely keep you full until the next mealtime. Full of spice and creamy coconut milk, the flavour certainly packs a punch. At just over 400 calories, it is one of our more calorific vegan meals, but I think this meal could be probably serve between 4 and 6, so you could always serve yourself a smaller portion.Print
Hearty, vegan stew
1 butternut squash
3 cloves garlic
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp paprika
3 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp olive oil
1 400ml/14fl oz tin light coconut milk
2 400g/14oz tins tomatoes
1 400g/14oz tin cannellini beans, drained
300ml/10½fl oz boiling water
1 bag (200g/7oz) spinach
- Peel and chop the squash into bite-sized pieces.
- Crush the garlic into a large saucepan and add the cumin, paprika, ground coriander, salt, pepper and olive oil – let this heat until it starts bubbling.
- Once the spice mix is bubbling, add the squash, boiling water, quinoa, tinned tomatoes and light coconut milk.
- Bring this to the boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for about 25 minutes, until the squash is soft and the quinoa has cooked.
- At this point roughly chop the spinach and stir it into the pan along with the beans and the second tin of tomatoes.
- Let this cook for another 10 minutes or so, then serve with a sprinkling of chopped coriander.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Calories: 438