Fish Pie is proper comfort food for me, I absolutely love it. This recipe is a twist on the comfort food favourite, using gnocchi in stead of mash potato as a top. Don’t worry you don’t have to go to the trouble of making your own gnocchi, you can get it from most supermarkets, usually in the fresh pasta section.
Using gnocchi will cut your prep time (and washing up time) down considerably, as you just need to cook the gnocchi for 2-3 minutes in a shallow pan, with a little water, and then layer over the top of your fish mixture, removing the need to mash all the potatoes up.
At only 425 calories, this comfort food is suitable for all calorie budgets – simple, filling and delicious!Print
Italian twist on traditional comfort food
200ml semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsp cornflour
400g fish pie mix , or a mix of salmon, smoked haddock and prawns
4 spring onions , sliced
1 tbsp chopped chives , or 1/2 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
150ml reduced-fat crème fraîche
1 tsp capers , drained
200g frozen peas
1 tsp olive oil
250g long-stem broccoli or green beans, steamed, to serve
- Put the gnocchi in a deep ovenproof frying pan and cover with boiling water and a pinch of salt. Simmer for 2-3 mins, then drain and leave to steam-dry.
- Combine a splash of the milk with the cornflour until you have a smooth paste, then add to the rest of the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the frying pan, then add the fish pie mix and spring onions, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened and the fish is just cooked, about 4-5 mins.
Season well. Stir in the herbs, crème fraîche, capers and peas, and bring back to a simmer.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Arrange the gnocchi over the filling, then brush with the oil and season with some black pepper.
- Grill for 5-10 mins, or until the gnocchi has puffed up and is starting to turn golden on top.
- Serve with the broccoli or green beans on the side (just add the calories).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Calories: 435