This fabulous slow cooker recipe is perfect for those colder autumn and winter days. Prep it all before work and let it slowly cook away in the slow cooker while you are busy with work, or out and about with the family. Packed with flavour and goodness this will be making its way on to your weekly menu regularly throughout the colder months I am sure.
This recipe can be eaten as it is, due to it already containing potatoes, or you could serve it with a small portion of rice depending on your calories, or shredded red cabbage.
Hearty Hungarian stew
500g lean stewing steak diced into bite sized pieces
3 tbsp smoked paprika
Low cal cooking spray
1 large onion cut into large chunks
1 red and 1 yellow pepper deseeded and cut into large chunks
3/4 tsp garlic granules
2 medium carrots cut in to 2.5cm chunks
175g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
500ml beef stock
Sea salt and ground black pepper
Rice or shredded red cabbage to serve, if you wish
- Toss steak in the paprika until well coated
- Spray frying pan with low cal spray and place on medium heat. Add steak and cook for 5 mins until browned on all sides.
- Place steak in slow cooker with all other ingredients except the rice. Stir well and set to high. Cover with lid and cook for 4.5 hours or on low for 7 hours. Make sure meat and veg are tender.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with rice or shredded red cabbage.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5-7 hours
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Calories: 357