Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish, usually made with lamb mince, aubergine, tomatoes, potatoes and Bechamel sauce, however, it can be high in fat and calories, so one of our members Dianne has come up with a lower fat and therefore lower calorie version, using lean beef mince, yogurt and leaving out the potatoes, which has reduced the calories considerably, but still has all the flavour of a traditional moussaka.
Thanks Dianne for sharing this with us!Print
A low calorie take on a Greek classic
200g sliced peppers (choose your colour or use frozen mixed)
3 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
200g extra lean minced beef
100g red lentils
2 tsp dried oregano plus extra for sprinkling
1 aubergine sliced into 1.5 cm rounds
4 tomatoes sliced into 1 cm rounds
2 tsp olive oil
25g parmesan, grated
170g pot 0% fat Greek yogurt
finely grated nutmeg
- Cook peppers gently in a large non stick pan for about 5 mins – the water from the should stop them sticking.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then add the beef, breaking up with a fork – cook until brown.
- Tip in the lentils, half the oregano, the passata and a splash of water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender, adding more water if you need to.
- Heat the grill to medium. Arrange the aubergine and tomato slices on a non stick baking tray and brush with oil. Sprinkle the remaining oregano and some seasoning, then grill for 1-2 minutes each side until lightly charred – you may need to do this in batches.
- Mix half the Parmesan with the yogurt and some seasoning.
- Spoon the beef mixture into an oven proof dish and top with the sliced aubergine and tomato.
- Spoon over the yogurt topping and sprinkle with the extra oregano, Parmesan and nutmeg – put under the grill for a few minutes until bubbling (or put in the oven on medium heat)
- Serve with a salad(add these calories in).
- Calories: 289