This nice and spicy beef dish can be made either on the hob, in the oven, or left in the slow cooker to stew away for a few hours, while you get on with something else.
The warming cumin combined with the oregano, turmeric and coriander make for a South American taste sensation. There are no carbohydrates in this recipe, so ideally it should be served with some rice, potatoes or couscous to keep it nice and balanced – just make sure you add your calories.Print
South American style dish packed full of flavour
500g stewing beef (extra lean)
salt and pepper
low calorie cooking spray
2 onions, sliced
2 beef stock cubes*(for GF use GF stock cubes) dissolved in 240ml water
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 green peppers deseeded and cut into strips
2 red peppers deseeded and cut into strips
4 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tablespoon fresh coriander chopped (I had none so used dried coriander leaf instead)
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
Cooked rice (to serve) or use whatever else you fancy but add in the additional calories. We had it with crushed new potatoes (less calories)
- This is the hob or oven method
- Season the meat well with salt and pepper
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray. Brown the meat over a high heat and then set aside. You may need to do this in batches.
- Add a little more cooking spray to the pan and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes until they soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, put the meat back in the pan too.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until the meat becomes tender. If you are using the oven then put ingredients into an oven proof dish and cover.
- Cook for 2 – 21/2 hours at 160C (140C fan) or gas mark 3.
- When meat is tender, remove from stove or oven and gently pull the meat apart with 2 forks – it should shred easily. If the sauce is a little thin then put back on the heat without the lid to thicken (reduce liquid).
- Serve with your accompaniment (and add the calories)
Any leftovers can be frozen or used later in the week.
If you were to make this in the slow cooker, cook it for about 2 hours on the high setting, or 4 hours on a low setting.
- Calories: 279