This Caribbean rice dish makes a quick and tasty meal for the whole family. The jerk seasoning brings an explosion of flavour, hot, spicy, fragrant and sweet, taking you to the blue azure waters and white sandy beaches of the Caribbean – who need to travel, when you can eat food like this at home!
Chicken thighs are particularly tasty cuts of chicken, in my opinion, but if you aren’t keen on deboning chicken, diced chicken breast would do just as well, if you can’t get your butcher to do it for you. Or you could even use pork or white fish, for an equally tasty meal, just adjust your calories.Print
Quick and simple Caribbean food!
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 onion, finely sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into thick strips
1–2 tbsp jerk seasoning
1 green chilli, deseeded and sliced (optional)
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 250g pouches microwave basmati rice, cooked
400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 lime, zested and juiced, plus wedges to serve
3 spring onions, finely sliced
½ small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt and fry for 5-6 mins.
- Add the chicken and fry for a further 7-8 mins.
- Stir in the jerk seasoning, chilli, if using, and garlic, and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the rice, beans and lime zest and juice. Cook until heated through.
- Scatter over the spring onions, coriander and serve with the extra lime wedges.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Calories: 411