No need to skip your favourite Chinese takeaway treat when you can eat our Kim’s Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. At only 295 calories you can have it without feeling guilty, and making it yourself will make it all the tastier I am sure!
A typical Chinese takeaway version of Sweet and Sour could be over 1000 calories, depending on its size and cooking method, so this recipe is a real winner in the calorie stakes. You could even have it with a small portion of rice if you have enough calories left. If you are a little low on remaining calories you could use cauliflower rice or the low-calorie Konjac noodles.Print
Delicious Chinese treat!
450g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
40g (plus 2 teaspoons) cornstarch
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 (8-ounce) can juice-packed pineapple chunks
58g reduced-sugar ketchup
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Stevia
⅛ teaspoon chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper (or cooking spray- add extra calories)
- Place the cut chicken and 40g of cornstarch into a large resealable bag. Seal and Shake to coat the chicken.
- In a large pan/ wok, heat the oil on a medium/high heat. Add the chicken (only a single layer) and cook the chicken until browned all over but not cooked through (approximately 1-2 minutes), whilst occasionally turning the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the heat.
- Drain pineapple and reserve the juice for the sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, reduce sugar ketchup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, stevia, chilli flakes and the remaining 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Place the browned chicken pieces in the bottom of the baking tray/dish. Add pineapple chunks, onion, red and yellow bell peppers.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the baking dish loosely with foil and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling (approximately 45 minutes).
- Stir the chicken mixture and rotate the pan front to back halfway to ensure it is cooked evenly.
- Serve garnished with spring onions.
If you like it a bit more spicy, just add more chilli flakes.
- Calories: 295