Who said you can’t eat lasagne when you are trying to lose weight? Try the ultimate comfort food, Lasagne, for 400 calories a portion, perfect whatever the weather or time of year. Lasagne is a family favourite and rightly so – just like mama used to make!
It can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge to bake or reheat, or even cooked and refrozen to be reheated later.Print
Delicious comfort food, any time of the year
Drizzle of olive oil
200g of 5% fat minced beef
2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion finely chopped
1 stick of celery finely chopped
2 medium size mushrooms chopped finely
1 tin of chopped tomatoes 400g
1/2 tin/carton of pasata
2 teaspoons of mixed Italian herbs
Salt and Pepper
Dash of worcester sauce
4 x lasagne sheets
For the béchamel white sauce ( I add cheese)
2 x tspns of reduced fat butter
1 x desert spoon of plain flour
1/4 pint of semi-skimmed milk
28g 50% reduced fat mature cheddar cheese
Half a ball of reduced fat mozzarella or a few shavings of hard Italian cheese
- Prepare all the veg
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a deep pan such as a large frying pan, or large sauce pan and add the crushed garlic, onion, celery and mushrooms and fry over a medium heat until soft, take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the minced beef and continue to fry until brown.
- Add the mixed Italian herbs and stir again. (note you can also add freshly chopped basil if you prefer for a great flavour).
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer gently.
- Soak the dried lasagne in boiling water while you prepare the bechamel sauce.
- In a sauce pan add the butter and heat until melted. Then add the flour and whisk until combined. It will go gloopy. Add the milk slowly and add grated cheddar cheese, stirring continuously until the sauce becomes thick and remove from heat.
- Into a lasagne dish add a layer of the meat mixture, followed by a lasagne sheet and repeat until the fourth sheet, then cover with the bechamel sauce. Add torn mozzarella to the top.
- Place in a preheated oven 200 degrees and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with side salad.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 50
- Calories: 400