This quick curry is a super low calorie dish for those who need to get really low with their calories, but still fancy a weekend treat! Jackfruit has been used widely in India, where it is grown, but is gaining popularity across the world, as a vegan alternative to meat.
The texture of jackfruit is like pulled pork, so makes a great substitute for meat, and absorbs lots of flavour, so is a great ingredient for carrying all the spices in a curry. It has some protein as well as carbs and fibre, and contains the Vitamins A and C as well as potassium and calcium.
If you have the calories spare, you could swap the cauliflower rice for regular rice or boost the protein with some quinoa, but this recipe from our member Hayley proves it is possible to have great food, even at really low calories. The total of this dish with the cauliflower rice is only 181 calories!!!Print
Super tasty, super quick and super low calorie vegan curry!
Tin of Jackfruit (available from health food stores) – 220g drained weight
Ready prepped cauliflower rice (available from Aldi) 80g per serving
1/2 teaspoon of nigella seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds
1 small onion
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon (or adjust to suit taste) of chilli flakes – or fresh finely diced red chilli
3 garlic gloves
1 tablespoon of ginger paste or freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper
Salt to taste
One large tomato, diced
- Add 2 sprays of low cal oil into a pan and once hot add the seeds, for about a min until they start to pop.
- Add the onion and stir.
- After about 2 mins add the other spices, the garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the drained jackfruit, diced tomatoes, salt, tomato puree and water (enough to have the curry at your desired consistency.)
- Cook for about 4 minutes, when the sauce should have thickened up – but just add more water so it is the consistency you want.
- Heat the cauliflower rice by adding to a dry pan with a splash of water.
- Serve with the chopped coriander
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Calories: 181