Fish pie is one of my favourite meals, and I always think its a pain to make, but it isn’t. This recipe is pretty quick and you will have yourself a fish pie in about 30 -45 minutes start to finish.
Using white fish is a great way to keep the calories low, also by using cornflour to thicken the sauce, rather than making a standard white sauce, you are saving on calories there too. So you can have a great family meal, without breaking your calorie budget.Print
Delicious creamy fish pie – a family favourite
One large sweet potato (about 500g)
200g white fish, chopped into chunks (try and pick sustainably sourced fish)
1 tbsp cornflour or cornstarch
1 tsp of dried parsley
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
Garlic clove, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
- Peel and chop sweet potato into chunks, and add to a pan of boiling water. Turn the heat down and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through
- In a large pan add a few sprays of spray oil, and add garlic and onion to soften.
- Once the onion has turned translucent and softened add the milk
- Next add the fish and gently poach it till it is just cooked through
- Once its cooked through, remove the fish and vegetables and place it in an oven proof dish
- Add the cornflour, nutmeg and parsley to the remaining liquid in the pan and stir with a whisk until it thickens to a sauce
- Pour the sauce over the fish and vegetables in the oven proof dish.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked through, drain the water and mash
- Spoon the mash over the fish and sauce mix
- Place under the grill to crisp up the sweet potato and serve with your choice of vegetables
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 394